Lost and Found

It’s been a while! I’ve made some progress and I’d like to share it with you. You know, it’s one thing to have a prototype, but it’s another to go to production. But regardless of the bumps along the road, here’s what’s going on.

In the prototype, I was calculating the diff on the client side. So now, the diff is being calculated on the server side, and that allows me to do a couple things.

One, I can calculate diffs upon a commit and cache it, so it’s ready when you view a diff. It’s like getting your clothes washed as soon as you throw it in the hamper, so it’s ready right when you want to wear it again. No more waiting for your clothes to dry while waiting naked.

Two, it makes supporting different formats much easier, because I wouldn’t have to write different ports of different formats for the browser, since it’s already written for the server. There’s no sense in reinventing racing wheels, just because you insist on driving in a monster truck on the race track.

Most of these things are to make sure that users have a good experience using the diff. For now, I’ve decided to only support STL files at launch. Don’t worry, however. OpenSCAD and other formats will follow quickly after. 

If you have any questions, or want to share why you’re excited about Cubehero, let me know. It’d help inform the direction of Cubehero. Until next time, take care!

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: